Build time information

Tha D0od d0odman at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 12 12:36:28 PST 2006

I got to wondering how long it would take to build HLFS from the book after
noticing the SBU information was missing.  It takes quite a fair amount of
time especially when you're watching compiler messages scroll down the
screen.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone's done this specifically for HLFS yet, but
here are my time stats for the temporary utility build for both glibc and
uClibc (chapter 5).  I also threw in some 'du -sh' info, just for overkill.
I also took the time to normalise the results to the first build of binutils
using the 'real' time value output of the time command.

The results are kinda interesing.  No tests were run, and the output for the
time command is for all commands AFTER patching and configuring.  That
etc.  All done on a first gen Centrino (1M cache) laptop clocked at 1.6GHz
with two ttys open (lynx up on one of them displaying the respecitve book
being worked on) booted off the LFS 6.1-3 live CD.