Tree of HLFS base?

Kevin Day drealin01 at cox.net
Sat Jan 7 15:34:38 PST 2006

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 11:39:08 -0800
Jason Stevens <jastev at alumni.rice.edu> wrote:

> Does anyone have a tree of all files installed as part of the HLFS
> base? IE, find / -print?  It would be useful for educational
> purposes, especially to peruse while I'm waiting for some of these
> packages to compile...  ;)
Pretty simple trick here (aside from the major libraries/programs, which
may need tweaks) Just pass --prefix=/tmp/tree and then look at all the
files in there.  You can even install the program 'tree' that will
print a nice list.  Though that program is old so it may be somewhat
evasive to find.

> Also, if anyone has a recommendation for a particularly good
> reference towards building really minimal systems (ie, what's the min
> in order to be able to boot a system and have root be able to login
> to the console with bash), that would be handy.  Since there's no
> good reason for my final system to have things like Perl on it (or
> even a compiler), I'd just as soon not have those there.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -jps

This is something I have been tossing around for some time.  What is a
minimal system?

So here is my definition: It boots.  That's it!
uClibc/glibc, some shell: ash, bash, possibly non-interactive (or at
least not fully interactive) shells such as tcsh (sysvinit or similar
for a more friendly boot)

From there, you figure out what you want to do with that system.  Get
those files, and only those files.  Then fullfill their dependencies.
And that would be my definition of a useful minimal system.

You also mention not using compilers/interpreters.  You can build all
of your final compilers for building your system in some other
location. (say /usr/toolchain under my systems)  There you can still
use the system libraries or remove them at little costs.  Every need a
new package, just put your backed up compilers there, compile, and then
remove them.