Educational question

Jason Stevens jastev at alumni.rice.edu
Sat Feb 25 14:49:43 PST 2006

Archaic wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 02:20:49PM -0800, Jason Stevens wrote:
>> I'm prepared to accept that I misunderstood, but I don't think I misquoted:
>
> You said I recommended the symlink which I do not.

Ah, I see where you're coming from.  The way I read what you wrote is
that you offered two recommendations as to how to approach the issue,
one way with a symlink and the other without.  I meant that you
recommended those out of the universe of possible solutions, not that
you recommended one over the other.  I can see how what I wrote is
ambiguous, though.

That being said, however, I don't see text in the hint which suggests
that you prefer moving mtab.  The only guidance I see is:

'Now it is time to make a decision. If you prefer having a writable
mtab, skip the "Symlink Mtab" section and read the "Writable Mtab"
section. If you think /proc/mounts is good enough, do the opposite. If
you can't decide, search the lfs-dev mailing list archives for arguments
for and against each.'

I infer from the fact that you're bringing this up that you *do* have a
preference, and that it's to move mtab.  This seems counter-intuitive to
me, so obviously my next step is to search the list and see what others
wrote about it.

-jps