Educational question

Jason Stevens jastev at alumni.rice.edu
Sat Feb 25 14:20:49 PST 2006

Archaic wrote:

>> Yes it is common technic to make root fs read-only but there are some
>> drawbacks. If you compare original /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts you notice
>> some differences...
>
> Which is why I promptly mention that he misquoted me. There is nothing
> worse than someone glance over your work only to misunderstand and
> misquote it. :(

I'm prepared to accept that I misunderstood, but I don't think I misquoted:

### Mtab ###

    Now it is time to make a decision. If you prefer having a writable
mtab, skip the "Symlink Mtab" section and read the "Writable Mtab"
section. If you think /proc/mounts is good enough, do the opposite. If
you can't decide, search the lfs-dev mailing list archives for arguments
for and against each.

### Symlink Mtab ###

    Here we delete mtab and make the link to /proc/mounts.

	#rm /etc/mtab
	#ln -s /proc/mounts /etc/mtab

<snip>

    Now it's time to test it out by rebooting your computer. Cat
/etc/mtab (which is now /proc/mounts) to verify everything is mounted
properly.

I'm sorry to apparently be such a bother.  From my point of view, far
worse than having some try to understand your work and fail is for them
to ignore it altogether.  I don't know any better way to learn than to
try these things out for myself, read the list, hints and other docs,
and ask questions.  Isn't that part of the point of HLFS?

-jps