Educational question

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Feb 25 13:28:27 PST 2006

On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 09:54:03AM -0800, Jason Stevens wrote:

> Archaic posted a file recommending replacing /etc/mtab with a link to
> /proc/mounts.

I don't believe I recommended that. I gave 2 scenarios. One was the
symlink, the other a simple change to glibc in one file to tell it to
use /var/lib/misc/mtab, which is what I personally prefer because
/proc/mounts doesn't include the same information as a true mtab.

> I imagine that for other software, if they insisted on having writable
> files in /etc, I could do the same thing:  give them space in /var or
> /srv and link to it from /etc.

If it is a file that is rarely written, don't bother. Part of the safety
of a readonly rootfs is that corruption is highly unlikely from a
software standpoint. You lose that if a good portion of the files are on
a writable /var and symlinked. Also, for files that are only changed by
one package, better would be to change where it puts its files than
symlinking. Again, this is for files where only one package reads or
modifies this file. An example would be /etc/userdb from cyrus-sasl.
Better to just make it install elsewhere.

--
Archaic

Hardened Linux From Scratch
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hlfs