The build of SVN-20060122 uClibc hlfs

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sun Feb 12 19:51:46 PST 2006

Dimitry Naldayev wrote:

>Declan Moriarty <junk_mail at iol.ie> writes:
>

>>Recently, Somebody Somewhere wrote these words
>>

>>>Hello I have built uClibc HLFS version SVN-20060122 The build
>>>logs aviable here: http://linux.perm.ru/dimitry/hlfs/
>>>
>>>Are there general recommendations about building software from
>>>blfs book on the top of the uClibc HLFS system? ie do I need
>>>modify build instruction from BLFS book ?
>>>

>>Only when thing won't compile :-P
>>

>As I notice, HLFS (at least uClibc version) tend to do
>
>sed -e 's/^CFLAGS .*$/& -pie -fpie/' -i Makefile.in
>
>or something like this for practicaly every package (but there was
>a few exceptions as I remember)
>
>Do I need apply this to BLFS packages? Are there general rule for this?
>

>>Also , you may have noticed the recent discussion of UTF-8.
>>

>I probably miss this discusion ;-/ but I do not UTF-8 at present time.
>Usually I use ru_RU.KOI8-R but I can live with pure POSIX locale
>(hmm.... in last case it probably better build system without nls at all)

In that case, you cannot enter Russian either, because the system will
treat it as unprintable characters. Please stop using uClibc until it is
fixed.

And just for a ru_RU.KOI8-R breakage testcase: attached is a bzipped
POSIX tar archive containing a folder with Russian characters in its
name. Attempt to list this archive: tar tf tmp.tar.bz2, in the
ru_RU.KOI8-R locale. Glibc-based systems do this correctly. uClibc-based
HLFS doesn't. uClibc-based HLFS with libiconv preloaded also works
correctly, but I am not sure if this really fixes, not masks, the real
problem.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov