UTF-8 in BLFS Wiki

Declan Moriarty junk_mail at iol.ie
Fri Feb 10 10:41:44 PST 2006

> The problem is that the iconv() function used by some packages
> like GTK+ and tar _even in non-UTF-8 locales_ for conversion
> from UTF-8 is broken beyond repair.

Thanks for the warning, Alexander. And when the work on UTF-8 makes
progress, I will probably upgrade my lfs to the resulting system.

I think X is in the HLFS book as a concession to people like
myself who want to learn about hardening, but are not running a
hardened server. Once you start into X apps, my experience has
been that you can do as much work as you like and tell the list,
and you won't get flamed. But it might never go into the book.
There is very little eye candy here. Someone posted Java instructions,
I posted Xorg-6.9.0 & DRI instructions, but I don't think anyone
else has tried either package.

If tar is unable to extract some archive, or unable to make a
correct one, then that's suddenly a huge issue. You have UTF-8
archives. Does the hlfs tar handle them correctly? It apparently
takes out what others put in correctly in source packages.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.