UTF-8 in BLFS Wiki (was: bash wants en_US locale)

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu Feb 9 06:27:46 PST 2006

Randy McMurchy wrote:

> If a package
>+    is not listed here, it does not mean there are no known locale-specific
>+    issues or problems with that package. It only means that this page has not
>+    been updated with the locale-specific information regarding that package.
>+    Please reference the BLFS Wiki page for a particular package for any
>+    additional locale-specific information. </para>

That's much more accurate. Thanks.

As for me using BLFS as a scapegoat and excuse-bed, I understand that I
am the only source of delays. But do you really expect me to verify all
packages before the next release? Or is this LFS/BLFS release going to
be delayed just because of that?

For the Wiki: I was going to add the Lynx page today. But I didn't, and
won't add anything (because I don't want to call anything tested while
it really isn't) until I resolve iconv issues in my uClibc-based HLFS
build or get explicit permission from HLFS developers to ignore this
configuration. To make long story short (I was going to report it after
investigaing possible solutions):

echo A | iconv -f UTF-8 -t XXX

For XXX being ISO-8859-{4,5,6,7,8,9} or KOI8-R, the printed result is
not "A" but "?A" which is incorrect (note: ASCII-only breakage!). This
means that the core character conversion functionality is broken in
uClibc-based HLFS (and please don't say "we don't care about converting
text from UTF-8 encoding" because some packages, e.g. GTK2, work by
always manipulating UTF-8 text and later converting to locale encoding).

--
Alexander E. Patrakov