GCC 4

William Harrington wwh20610 at cmsu2.cmsu.edu
Mon Feb 6 06:38:06 PST 2006

On Feb 6, 2006, at 5:35 AM, Dermot Bradley wrote:

>> Robert Connolly wrote:
>>> Waiting for version 4.1.
>>
>> Yes, but why?
>
> A quick Google on "gcc 4.1" found this:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.1/changes.html
>
> I guess these are the relevant 4.1 changes for HLFS:
>
> *  GCC can now emit code for protecting applications from stack-
> smashing
> attacks. The protection is realized by buffer overflow detection and
> reordering of stack variables to avoid pointer corruption.
>
> * Some built-in functions have been fortified to protect them against
> various buffer overflow (and format string) vulnerabilities.
> Compared to
> the mudflap bounds checking feature, the safe builtins have far
> smaller
> overhead. This means that programs built using safe builtins should
> not
> experience any measurable slowdown.

Also, I have ran into this with other people and will make a
statement about it
that way you guys know about it when building other packages that might
have problems like this

error will be something like someheader.h:xxx: error: extra
qualification 'someclass::method::' on member 'somemember'

apparently gcc 4.1 dislikes constructs like this:

class MyClass {
	int MyClass::method(...);

and wants this:

class MyClass {