openssl and coreutils and more

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Dec 4 06:23:45 PST 2006

Hi. I moved the openssl page to chapter 6, and updated the version. I'm
planning to add the 'bc' package to chapter 5 after dejagnu so that the
openssl test suite can run. The openssl test suite also depends on flex, so I
won't remove flex from chapter 5 (although I'm looking at removing util-linux
from chapter 5, and maybe bison).

So anyway. In coreutils chapter 6 I'm planning to add alternatives
for /bin/true and /bin/false for i386 assembly code. Also, the sha/md5 stuff
can be replaced by the openssl(1) shell script, which was on hlfs-dev not
long ago. Because these things are optional I think it will be best to remove
the supress-uptime_kill_su patch and use 'make DESTDIR=$(pwd)/destdir
install'. Then the destdir can be manipulated... files replaced, removed, and
moved, before they're installed to /usr. The flaw in this plan is that the
manual, and info, pages for true/false and sha/md5sum will not match the
programs. Maybe I can just note that on the coreutils page and let
users/distro_makers edit coreutils.texi for themselves (its straight
foreward).

Also, an /sbin/nologin in assembly code would be cool too. Maybe someone here
knows assembly enough to get it to print a message to stdout and exit with
error?

My TODO list for the 2.4-branch covers both sides of a post-it, but it's all
small stuff.

I didn't realize that the glibc-2.5 and binutils-2.17 CVS branches are
maintained.. they are. So I added "branch_update" patches for each, which
only includes fixes for bugs for their release (no new features).

I had some luck getting GCC to link to /usr/lib/libiberty.so, from Binutils
(see my last post). xgcc worked perfectly, but g++ and the libstdc++.so
library didn't work because of unresolved symbols. It should be doable
though.