autotools and patches

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Aug 31 15:11:44 PDT 2006

On Thursday 31 August 2006 05:00, Alex Merry wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 12:40:16AM -0400, Robert Connolly wrote:
> > First, newer autoconf add newer gcc options, like -std=gnu99 to CC. It's
> > not a major thing, but its nice.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here... how does autoreconfing allow you to
> change the gcc options you can pass? Surely you can already do that in
> the CC env?

I noticed that after reconfiguing patch-2.5.9 it set CC="gcc -std=gnu99". It
doesn't do this with all packages.

> The only possibly issue I can think of is configure.{ac,in}
> compatibility. I'm no expert on this by any means, but I had a hazy idea
> that you could get incompatible versions, and this was why various
> distributions installed several versions of autoconf and automake
> side-by-side.

Binutils is still using autoconf-2.13, and they use a special version of it.
The Binutils pt_pax patch should be an --enable-pt_pax with 'ld -z pt_pax",
instead of the way it is now. So it looks like we'd need at least two
versions of autoconf.