Attribute warn_unused_result

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Aug 24 21:38:56 PDT 2006

Fedora is building everything with -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2. I hoped they fixed the
warnings in some packages, but at least with Binutils they have not. But they
also do not add -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 to gcc specs, they patch Makefile's one
by one or use CFLAGS.

This url explains this warning a bit:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.1.1/gcc/Function-Attributes.html

"The warn_unused_result attribute causes a warning to be emitted if a caller
of the function with this attribute does not use its return value. This is
useful for functions where not checking the result is either a security
problem or always a bug, such as realloc."

robert