Owl tmp patches

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Aug 19 17:50:30 PDT 2006

Hi. I checked out Owl's cvs and searched for "*tmp*". There are 17 patches to
our base system packages which modify the package for paranoid temporary file
creation. This includes using mktemp rather than shell scripts, better use of
libc's mktemp functions, and freeing and removing temporary files during an
error. There are another 2 patches, to our base system packages, which use
Owl's vitmp program (a vi wrapper). The vitmp program allows us to edit
temporary files while they are in use, like ones generated by 'crontab -e'.
vitmp also uses virtual memory instead of temporary files, so it can be quite
usefull.

I put up copies of all the *tmp* patches, including the vitmp program and man
page, if any of you want to look at them, here:
http://www.topside.org/~ashes/hlfs/Owl-tmp-patches/

Only one patch, the Gzip patch, hardcodes the path to "/bin/mktemp". It's
necessary to have mktemp in /bin because gzip is in /bin, and /usr/bin might
not always be mounted in a rescue operation (I've already changed the book to
install mktemp to /bin).

The remaining patches could probably be added to the BLFS book (as optional
patches).