gcc specs

Alex Merry alexander.merry at ccc.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 4 03:17:17 PDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 09:15:48PM -0400, Robert Connolly wrote:
> With the hardened specs I tried building and testing Glibc with
> CC="gcc -no-pie -fno-pic -fno-pie -norelro -nonow -no-fortify" CXX="g++ ..."
> and got about a dozen test Errors. This shouldn't be. These flags should be
> equivalent to vanilla.

Same. I managed to get rid of about a fifth to a quarter of the errors
with -no-pie -fno-PIE -DFORTIFY=0, which cancelled all the flags shown
by "gcc -v" on a dummy.c file (although running gcc -v -fno-PIE showed
it was running gcc with -fPIE and -fno-PIE on the same command line).

> So anyway, I don't suggest trying to use the system created by the unstable
> book(s) right now.

Not that I would be able to use the system I just built - the kernel
build bales out on fs/namei.o with a gcc segfault every time.

Alex :-)

--
Pippin
Computer Monkey to the Pelican