gcc specs

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Aug 3 18:15:48 PDT 2006

There's something wrong with the new gcc specs, although I haven't put my
finger on it yet. The -no flags aren't working as they should and are not
restoring vanilla behavior...

In chapter 6 I was able to 'make check' Glibc perfectly without Error's, using
vanilla gcc specs. I think this means libgcc from cocoon (built with the
hardened specs) is not the cause of any problems.

With the hardened specs I tried building and testing Glibc with
CC="gcc -no-pie -fno-pic -fno-pie -norelro -nonow -no-fortify" CXX="g++ ..."
and got about a dozen test Errors. This shouldn't be. These flags should be
equivalent to vanilla.

With no -no flags I get much more test Errors, but this is expected.

So anyway, I don't suggest trying to use the system created by the unstable
book(s) right now.