Glibc Heap Consistency Checking

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Aug 1 20:10:04 PDT 2006

Heap Consistency Checking was added by default to glibc-2.4:
http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Heap-Consistency-Checking.html

It uncovers (and aborts) bugs in several packages already, including the bug
in Gawk fixed by the segfault_fix patch, another in Irssi, another in Mysql,
another in Firefox, another in Gtk++, another in Curl, and certainly others.

This checking can be disabled or modified with the MALLOC_CHECK_ environment
variable.

I'm putting "* C0" in my /etc/limits so I don't have core files all over the
place until all this stuff gets patched :)

It looks like 2006 is the year for toolchain security features.