unknown_bootoption compile error

Lars Skjærlund lars at skjaerlund.dk
Sun Apr 16 01:33:07 PDT 2006

Hi list,

I'm having problems compiling a kernel. Whilst I have succeeded earlier
building a system based on hlfs-20060220 with kernel 2.6.14.3 (2.6.14.6
won't compile on my system), I cannot compile the kernel anymore.

I was experimenting with Openswan, but I got some errors when trying to
patch the kernel source. So I thought I'd start from scratch, deleted
the source tree, and unpacked a fresh copy from the tarball. I patched
it as before, copied my .config over from the /boot directory - but now
it won't compile. Instead, the compiler complains that

init/main.c: In function `unknown_bootoption':
init/main.c:249: warning: asm operand 1 probably doesn't match
constraints
init/main.c:249: error: impossible constraint in `asm'
make[1]: *** [init/main.o] Error 1
make: *** [init] Error 2

I've googled around for a while and found another one with a problem
like this; it appeared he had problems with binutils, so I've rebuild
this package - but to no avail.

What could be wrong?

Regards,
Lars