Removing static libs

Kevin Day msu-kday at student.mcneese.edu
Tue Sep 20 11:49:19 PDT 2005

> On 9/20/05, Jaap Struyk <japie at deserver.nl> wrote:
> >
> > I guess this also aplies on all blfs packages?
> > Are there any pitfails removing static libs from going beyond hlfs?
>
> Some packages only install static libs. What I normally do (except for
> the toolchain packages) is to remove the static libs that have a
> corresponding shared lib but keep the other static libs (though I move
> them out of /usr/lib to prevent anything from linking against them
> unless I explicitly add it to the linker path.

More specifically, cdrecord.  It seems that cdrecord wants to only have static
libraries.

My concern is that I did not yet immediately find a shared library install.
Perhaps I missed one?  And as I have not noticed one, that probably means all
programs linked to any of the cdrecord installed libraries will have static
files only.  Those also would have to be patched in the event that cdrecord has
no shared libraries.  (plus I am itching to clean out all the opinionated,
useless crap that is all over the program, wasting space...much like this
comment)