Removing static libs

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Sep 19 21:24:12 PDT 2005

I guess it wasn't documented outside of this mailing list. Removing static
libraries forces all applications to use shared libraries to take full
advantage of the PaX kernel. It also makes application upgrades safer, since
packages can't link to old versions of static libs. A few programs, like
insmod, link to static libraries by default, which may mean that insmod
remains vulnerable even after zlib is upgraded. These two reasons are the
basis of why static libraries are removed.

robert