Install of uClibc-0.9.28 failed (chapter 6)

Tor Olav Stava t-ol-sta at online.no
Wed Oct 19 01:24:53 PDT 2005

Tor Olav Stava wrote:
> Host: LFS-SVN-20050727, AMD Duron 1.3 (i686)
>
> HLFS-BOOK-SVN-20051017
> Trying to cross-compile for i586
> Chapter 5: $target=i586-tools-linux-gnu
> Chapter 6: $target=i586-pc-linux-gnu
Forgot to mention some possible critical information: I'm using the
package user management hint.

> I've built the toolchain as specified, but the uClibc install failes
> with the following output:

<snip>
> install -m 644 lib/*.[ao] /usr/lib/
> if [ ""/usr"" == "/usr/" ] ; then \
>        extra_exclude="--exclude include/linux --exclude include/asm'*'" ; \
> else \
>        extra_exclude="" ; \
> fi ; \
> tar -chf - include --exclude .svn --exclude CVS $extra_exclude \
>        | tar -xf - -C /usr/
> --exclude: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> .svn: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> --exclude: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> CVS: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> Error exit delayed from previous errors
> include: Cannot utime: Operation not permitted
> Error exit delayed from previous errors
> make: *** [install_dev] Error 2

I removed the extra --exclude in the tar command, as none of those dirs
exists it shouldn't be necessary to exclude them.
Then the tar command don't produce any error messages anymore, and the
files are installed when I checked.
Now the output given by the install command:

install -d /lib
*** install -d /lib
install -m 644 lib/lib*-0.9.28.so \
         /lib
cp -dRf lib/*.so.* /lib
+ install -m 755 lib/ld-uClibc-0.9.28.so /lib
install -d /usr/lib
*** install -d /usr/lib
install -d /usr/include
*** install -d /usr/include
install -m 644 lib/*.[ao] /usr/lib/
if [ ""/usr"" == "/usr/" ] ; then \
         extra_exclude="" ; \
else \
         extra_exclude="" ; \
fi ; \
tar -chf - include \
         | tar -xf - -C /usr/
include: Cannot utime: Operation not permitted
Error exit delayed from previous errors
make: *** [install_dev] Error 2

What's that Cannot utime? Since it says Operation not permitted, I would
like to guess it's a permissions problem, possibly due to the fact that
I'm using package users. Haven't found any reference to utime in the
Makefile, so again, please help! ;)

Tor Olav Stava