HLFS and Xorg (the almost 7 but still 6.8 version ;)

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Nov 5 11:38:07 PST 2005

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005, Łukasz Hejnak wrote:

> Hi
>
> First, I know this maybe isn't the place I should ask, If so, I'm sorry
> but the IRC #hlfs channel doesn't seem to be a crowdy place and I can't
> find another place to post this to.
>
> I'm running a HLFS svn from 12.04.05
> The system is great and I like a lot about it..
> Lately I tought about some upgrades, and so I've been trying to compile
> Xorg 6.8.99.901 (the closest I found to 7.0 and still in one piece ;)
> but the make fails with:
>
> gcc -m32 -o xdm -O2 -fno-strength-reduce -fno-strict-aliasing -ansi
> -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes
> -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations
> -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wundef     -L../../exports/lib
> auth.o daemon.o server.o dpylist.o dm.o error.o file.o
> netaddr.o reset.o resource.o protodpy.o policy.o
> session.o socket.o streams.o util.o xdmcp.o                   mitauth.o
>              genauth.o access.o choose.o  prngc.o            xdmauth.o
> rpcauth.o  greet.o verify.o Login.o -lXpm -lXmu -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXext
> -lX11 -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXext -lX11 -lXau   -lXdmcp -lrpcsvc
> -lcrypt          -Wl,-rpath-link,../../exports/lib
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lrpcsvc
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[4]: *** [xdm] Error 1
> make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/Xorg/build/programs/xdm'
>
> As much as the google tell's me, it's something with the glibc
> installation, and as I remember deleting (according to the book) some
> *.a files, I thought It was maybe one of them.
> So the question is, which file to link in place, as I figure there has
> to be some replacement of the functions within this lib in another one,
> that hasn't been deleted.. and If not, is there a way to restore that
> library from a new glibc compilation, that will be the least painfull?
> (I'm thinking other than recompiling the whole toolchain again ;)
>
> OR maybe there's a way to disable xdm? (dont's use it anyway)..
> my host.def is at http://szift.org/host.def
>

> Best Wishes
> Lukasz Hejnak
> szift at szift.org

  Hit the same problem this week with CLFS multilib (the glibc snapshot
we are using there doesn't create librpcsvc for -m32, only for -m64
when building for x86_64).  You can get around it with

sed -i 's/xdm//' programs/Imakefile

  - initial indications are that kdm might be disabled as a result of
this (one of the kde packages looks for xdm, nothing else, including
gdm, showed in my old logs).  X seemed to work ok without xdm, although
the Imakefile suggests it isn't optional.  Of course, I'm not building a
full 32-bit desktop, so perhaps some functionality might be lost.

  Of course, when HLFS moves to the X 6.9.0 you guys might want to
rethink deleting librpcsvc.a.

Ken