HLFS and Xorg (the almost 7 but still 6.8 version ;)

Łukasz Hejnak szift at szift.org
Sat Nov 5 11:16:51 PST 2005

Hi

First, I know this maybe isn't the place I should ask, If so, I'm sorry
but the IRC #hlfs channel doesn't seem to be a crowdy place and I can't
find another place to post this to.

I'm running a HLFS svn from 12.04.05
The system is great and I like a lot about it..
Lately I tought about some upgrades, and so I've been trying to compile
Xorg 6.8.99.901 (the closest I found to 7.0 and still in one piece ;)
but the make fails with:

gcc -m32 -o xdm -O2 -fno-strength-reduce -fno-strict-aliasing -ansi
-Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations
-Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wundef     -L../../exports/lib
auth.o daemon.o server.o dpylist.o dm.o error.o file.o
  netaddr.o reset.o resource.o protodpy.o policy.o
session.o socket.o streams.o util.o xdmcp.o                   mitauth.o
               genauth.o access.o choose.o  prngc.o            xdmauth.o
rpcauth.o  greet.o verify.o Login.o -lXpm -lXmu -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXext
-lX11 -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXext -lX11 -lXau   -lXdmcp -lrpcsvc
-lcrypt          -Wl,-rpath-link,../../exports/lib
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lrpcsvc
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [xdm] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/Xorg/build/programs/xdm'

As much as the google tell's me, it's something with the glibc
installation, and as I remember deleting (according to the book) some
*.a files, I thought It was maybe one of them.
So the question is, which file to link in place, as I figure there has
to be some replacement of the functions within this lib in another one,
that hasn't been deleted.. and If not, is there a way to restore that
library from a new glibc compilation, that will be the least painfull?
(I'm thinking other than recompiling the whole toolchain again ;)

OR maybe there's a way to disable xdm? (dont's use it anyway)..
my host.def is at http://szift.org/host.def

Best Wishes
Lukasz Hejnak
szift at szift.org