Linking precompiled binaries

mclinden at informed.net mclinden at informed.net
Wed May 25 06:00:22 PDT 2005

I had to recompile GCC and GLIBC a few times because I kept running into
the SSP bug with a static compile (referenced, below). Since I wasn't sure
where the error was coming from, I tried different orders of toolchain
builds until I got a combination that worked.

I'll try your suggestion to recompile glibc without the fstack-protector
patch.

Sean

> This bug is caused by the prototypes in
> sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/stack_protector.c. Comment out:

> void __guard_setup(void) __attribute__ ((constructor));
> void __stack_smash_handler(char func[], int damaged __attribute__
((unused)));

> and everything is fine after. I'll send a new patch.

                      Robert Connolly
                      <robert at linuxfromscratch.o        To:       Hardened LFS Development List <hlfs-dev at linuxfromscratch.org>
                      rg>                               cc:
                      Sent by:                          Subject:  Re: Linking precompiled binaries
                      hlfs-dev-bounces at linuxfrom
                      scratch.org

                      05/24/2005 04:38 PM
                      Please respond to Hardened
                      LFS Development List

On May 20, 2005 02:29 pm, mclinden at informed.net wrote:
> I suspect the simple solution is to build a non-SSP version of the
> libraries but before I did...
>
> I am experimenting with the use of precompiled binaries (Oracle) on a
HLFS
> server and I am running into the following when I try to relink the
> precompiled binaries:
>
> /lib/libcrypt.so.1: undefined reference to __guard at GLIBC_2.3.2
> /lib/libcrypt.so.1: undefined reference to
> __stack_smash_handler at GLIBC_2.3.2

This looks to me like you reinstalled libc.so.6 from someone else, is that
right?

> Do I have any other options (like recompiling glibc with backward
> compatibiliy)?

If you reinstall glibc without the fstack-protector patch, but with the ssp

patch, the above error should go away.