multimedia bhlfs notes

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 2 08:10:56 PDT 2005

Hi. I installed hlfs-glibc on my workstation. I just want to share my notes
for some of the packages, mainly the multimedia stuff.

First, arts' mcopidl can't build with ssp, so:
sed -e 's/^KDE_CXXFLAGS .*$/& -fno-stack-protector/' -i mcopidl/Makefile.in

Do not use nasm. It doesn't handle PIC code well, and will certainly cause
problems with any package that uses it.

kdemultimedia's libmpeg.so uses non-pic mmx assembly. So disable mmx:
sed -e 's/MMX_SUPPORT="yes"/MMX_SUPPORT="no"/g' -i configure

divx4linux is binary only, and is not PIC. Nothing we can do about this.

Disable nasm and mmx in libmpeg:
sed -i -e 's:^NASM =.*:NASM =:' \
        -e 's|^HAVE_NASM :=.*|HAVE_NASM=n|' \
        -e 's|USE_MMX = 1|USE_MMX = 0|' \
        Makefile

Disable mmx in imlib2 with ./configure --disable-mmx.

ffmpeg may or may not build for you, it depends on which codec you enable. If
it fails to make, use --disable-mmx.

Mplayer is a big problem. For now just add -no-pie to CFLAGS, and try not to
run it as root (fix your dvd drive permissions in udev).

I didn't build mozilla. I added --disable-static where-ever I could. Other
than that I think everything else is fine.