inetutils vs netkit-base

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Mar 26 19:55:37 PST 2005

On March 26, 2005 06:54 pm, Archaic wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 03:55:44PM -0500, Robert Connolly wrote:
> > Loosing three (obsolete) suid programs is the best benefit of this.
>
> Obsolete as they may be, some people do still need them. But regardless,
> there is nothing stopping us from either a) preventing them building or
> b) chmod'ing them or c) deleting them.

It seems much more effective to me to move inetutils to bhlfs, and add a link
to it from a netkit-base page. Rsh is rejected by many sites now as an
unsupported protocol, I think most of the time when it does get used its by
mistake. Symlinking rsh to ssh, and rcp to scp, would probably be a good
idea, then packages like cvs wouldn't need any configuration to use ssh by
default. The majority of us only need one program from this package (ping).
This idea isn't for the sake of minimalism, its for practicality. By removing
the suid bit from rsh, rlogin, and rcp it disables them.. so there's no point
in having them installed at all.