gcc-3.4.3-ssp-3.patch offset patches?

mclinden at informed.net mclinden at informed.net
Thu Mar 24 09:28:40 PST 2005

I'm trying to track down the problem described, previously, with static
compiles in an HLFS implementation and am retracing the steps in the HLFS
book 20050320. I've seen it on two separate builds and someone has as well
and I'm trying to determine if there is a subtle problem in the book which
might explain this.

When I apply the SSP patch to GCC in chapter 5.12, about half of the
patches are offset by a handful of lines. The text does not suggest that
this should be expected and I must admit that I get a bit uneasy with
offset patches of things like the kernel, the compiler, the library or the
linker.

Before I build and potentially smash my GCC I want to understand if these
offsets are expected? There are no rejections but I remain a bit
concerned.

Thanks in advance.

Sean McLinden