Stack smashing attack in statically compiled binaries

mclinden at informed.net mclinden at informed.net
Wed Mar 23 09:53:29 PST 2005

Oops! Sorry. I was working on two problems at once (the other being trying
to compile JDK with a grsec kernel).

If you run the 'make check' on your binutils-build and look for the
results of the bootstrap tests on ld,  I suspect that it will fail with
static linking. Somehow the toolchain got hosed during your build.

Since I have seen the same problem, I suspect that there may either be
something missing from the HLFS book, or buried so that it was easy to
miss.

Sean