udev rules

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Mar 14 10:45:39 PST 2005

The udev rules in LFS unstable is more than most of us need. I am
thinking of expanding the udev page in chapter 6, so we can create
personalized udev rules. For example if you have no non-root real users then
there does not need to be an audio group. I don't use the comm devices
at all, so I dont need rules for them, same goes for video. etc, etc.
On the other hand, if you add alsa devices with permissions for the
audio group, then groupadd should be run at the same time.

For passwd and group files I'm thinking:

users:
 root:x:0:0

groups:
 root:x:0
 console:x:1
 tty:x:2
 kmem:x:3
 utmp:x:4

Group 'disk' can be added on the udev page. User 'nobody' can be added in
bhlfs. Adding and removing the dummy user for coreutils tests can't be
avoided because that dummy user needs /bin/sh for a shell, so using
user nobody won't work.