PaX project in trouble

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Mar 9 00:54:24 PST 2005

On the "grsecurity support" forum on the grsecurity site there is a post
describing that the PaX project is being abandoned on April 1st. It sounds
like the team is embarrassed about the last vulnerability and wants to give
up. No one supports the idea but I don't know if its enough to change their
minds. There is at least one person offering to takeover the project. I'm
sure the grsecurity team wants to keep the PaX features too. I don't think
there's anything I can offer them to help.

I don't think it will come to it, but if we have no other option there is
still the exec-shield. We'll see how it goes. I think its too early to panic
or make plans. I just wanted to inform you all so there's no surprises.