Toolchain for current (unstable) book

mclinden at informed.net mclinden at informed.net
Mon Mar 7 09:28:36 PST 2005

Greetings:

I've been an LFS user for a few years now, but decided to try HLFS
(experimentally), during a system rebuild. Understanding that it is
"unstable" I'm still confused about the following:

1. The current unstable book uses ${target} and ${ldso} for the Chapter 5
builds, but the documentation for how to define these seems to have been
deleted from more recent versions of the book. I'm not sure if this
represents a move away from GCC as a cross compiler or whether it is an
oversight but, either way, the inconsistency breaks the build.

2. The Chapter 5 test of the Toolchain following the build of GCC and
installation of ld from the earlier binutils build will fail because
crt1.o and related files have not been installed in the /tools path (in
fact, glibc is not installed, at all, in Chapter 5).

There are a few other issues, as well, but the fact that I haven't gotten
the above, correctly, makes me suspicious that the subsequent builds are
not done correctly (like the fact that "ldconfig" and "sln" exit with SSP
errors)

The system I am building from is an LFS 6.0 CD with Linux 2.6.8 and GCC
3.4.0.

Am I missing something?

Sean McLinden
Consultant