encrypted disc hint

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jun 5 06:39:27 PDT 2005

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 09:23:05AM -0400, Robert Connolly wrote:

> It's mainly for physical security, for laptops, and removable media like cdrom
> backups. Its also possible for an intruder root to dd the swap partition and
> download the image, to look for other passwords... but its mainly for
> physical security.

The whole dd thing would be irrelevant then as anyone who grabs root
owns the system. As far as physical security, that is likely useful, but
seems rather far outside the scope of the book's needs at this time.
Nonetheless, it seems do-able. Perhaps in a section for safe-admining
practices in a sub-section called physical security. I don't know. The
practicality of using this in the book versus a hint is somewhat
dependent on being able to fit it into a logical section. Like BLFS,
some of the B-HLFS should be linear before jumping to random package
sections. This would be one of those topics, I think.

Lastly, does uClibc work with all this?

--
Archaic

Hardened Linux From Scratch