stupid newbie question

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sun Jul 31 13:28:05 PDT 2005

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Jaap Struyk wrote:

> Op za 30-07-2005, om 22:03 schreef Ken Moffat:
>
> > /me suppresses the thought that proprietary modules and hardened systems
> > may not go together well.
>
> Maybe you ment that proprietary modules and GNU systems may not go
> together well? ;-)
> If the nvidia driver wasn't that awfully fast I would choose X's builtin
> nv one.
> Anyway, paxctl -m /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg and disable text-relocations in
> the kernel is enough to make nvidia work.

 As a lurker on the kernel list, I was thinking of the problems caused
by closed modules.  Both nvidia and ati supply wrappers to match their
binaries to the kernel, none of us get to see their code and people
testing development kernels suffer when the dri code gets changed.

Unfortunately, with the move to PCIe graphics, this seems to be the
future.  But don't get me started on an OT rant about closed-source
power-hungry graphics cards ;)

Ken