'kdm' is not installed with kdebase and Other Errors.

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jul 30 18:38:25 PDT 2005

On July 30, 2005 09:26 pm, randhir phagura wrote:
> Should this
> same treatment be followed for other eight '*.a' files which we removed
> after installation of xorg? And what about other such files in other
> packages which we have been removing in various packages? Can those also be
> treated likewise in order to get full support for installation of other
> applications that may be requiring them?

Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.

> I can see that HLFS is still in a formative state and lots of progress has
> already been made. There are, however, some packages which need
> experimenting. For example, i got the following error while compiling
> mozilla-1.7.8 on P3 laptop. Even changed mozilla version and tried but same
> error:
> /usr/bin/zip: error while loading shared libraries: cannot make segment
> writable for relocation: Permission denied

This error is from the PaX kernel, you should find it in syslogs too.
Recompile Zip, but edit the Makefile. Remove the -DASM stuff from the cflags.
I think Mozilla will also need -fno-stack-protector to work, but this might
not be enough. If I remember correctly I never got Mozilla working with hlfs.
If you want to experiment maybe try using -no-pie too. Mozilla has something
like --enable-optimize="something" option; you can use
--enable-optimize="-fno-stack-protector -no-pie". I'm still not sure if this
will work though.