stupid newbie question

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jul 30 11:54:44 PDT 2005

On July 30, 2005 11:13 am, Jaap Struyk wrote:
> Can you explain the (un)zip assembly tweeks maybe (they are not (yet) in
> the book)?

In the makefile find the -DASM parts in the cflags and remove them.

> And why do some apps need to disable mmx? (or did I fully understand you
> wrong on that?)

Assembly can be recoded to be position independent code (pic), but often it is
coded for performance instead. In graphical applications I noticed mmx
assembly is quite often not position independent, but sometimes it can be.

x86 doesn't require shared libraries to be pic, even though they're supposed
to be. Sharable code = position independent. This is needed to use shared
memory. Sometimes programmers decide performance is more important than
shared memory (and standards). On some architectures they can't get away with
it.