'kdm' is not installed with kdebase

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jul 27 18:21:33 PDT 2005

When xorg is compiled find libXau.a and libXdmcp.a. Try something like this:

mkdir /tmp/tmpstuff
cd /tmp/tmpstuff
ar -x /path/to/libXau.a
gcc -shared -o libXau.so *.o
install libXau.so /usr/X11R6/lib

and repeat that with libXdmcp.a (after clearing the tmpstuff directory). The
'ar -x' will disassemble the static library and output the object files, gcc
will relink them as a shared object. Then hack kdebase to use libXau.so, if
needed (no hack may be needed depending how kdebase tries to link libXau).

The only problem with this may be if libXau.so and/or libXdmcp.so has a
TEXTREL section. Gcc will be passing -fpic on the libXau/libXdmcp object, but
its possible they have non-pic assembly code in them.

Try it, let me know what happens (my hlfs box doesn't have xorg installed).

robert