sysklogd priv seperation

Heiko Zuerker heiko at zuerker.org
Sun Jan 23 12:56:05 PST 2005

Bennett Todd wrote:

>2005-01-23T20:36:29 Heiko Zuerker:
>

>>Archaic wrote:
>>

>>>Also, what is hard about running a log server on another box?
>>>

>>The problem is when you're going outside of a corporate
>>environment, i.e. home users. Home users won't run a log host at
>>home, because it's too loud, too expensive, is an overkill etc.
>>

>There are home users, and then there are home users.

Without a doubt

>The casual home user who doesn't care about these issues isn't a
>customer for HLFS, or at least so I'd judge.

It can also be a simple thing like not understanding the issue, or just
not be able to do otherwise.

>The home users who might be interested in HLFS may already have, or
>be willing to acquire, several spare boxes for custom-purpose
>servers. I collect old junker laptops for just such.
>
>And VMs are the coming thing; Xen is pulling a lot of press, and
>qemu has been used to make a cute little run-anywhere
>distro-on-keyfob. One of these days I'm planning on playing with
>qemu, it looks to hit a sweet spot of complexity -vs- functionality,
>at least as best I can see. I expect to be running as many
>completely distinct purpose-built servers as I can find any use for.

You have to be carefull not to make HLFS too geeky, because security is
for everybody and should be used by everybody.
It's like with everything, the book should try to go the 'golden middle
way'. Of course it makes a lot of sense to at least mention the
different options available, so more experienced users can pursue those.

--

Regards
  Heiko Zuerker