glibc & uClibc install paths

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 18 10:21:29 PST 2005

On January 18, 2005 12:26 pm, Pavel Zubkou wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't have ability to install HLFS from scratch and I decide compile
> packages from HLFS against my base LFS system. As I understand uClibc was
> installed in /usr/i386-linux-uclibc/ by default, and glibc is installed in
> /. So why HLFS don't install libc's in
> /usr/{i386-pc-linux-uclibc,i686-pc-linux-glibc} ? Or it allready install
> both libc in this place?

We can link anywhere, but libc.so is usually expected to be found in /lib, and
libc.a is usually in /usr/lib. /usr/i386-linux-uclibc is a good place when
uClibc is installed as a second library, and binutils and gcc would go in
that directory too. Glibc installs to both / and /usr at the same time.

I'm sorry I haven't made instructions yet for installing uClibc after. I'm
planning to make blfs type instructions so uClibc can be installed
beside/inside your existing system. But I haven't yet. It would be pretty
much like the uclibc installation in chapter 5, except change the install
path so not to wipeout your existing libraries. One way you could do it is
chown lfs /usr/i386-linux-uclibc, and install everything in there instead
of /tools, and that way you can be sure the lfs user won't change anything
except that one directory. You need to cross build cross linker and compiler,
then uclibc, then new binutils and gcc against uclibc, the rest isn't needed.
Then set CC=/usr/i386-linux-uclibc/bin/gcc. /lib/libc.so.0 can be a symlink
to /usr/i386-linux-uclibc/lib/libc.so.0.

I'm not sure if this helps.