--with-pic

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 10 19:43:50 PST 2005

If we agree to use --enable-dynamic-e2fsck in e2fsprogs, it would only leave
us with three statically linked programs.. ldconfig, sln, and insmod.static.
ldconfig and sln are linked while libc is built, so they don't actually need
libc.a installed. sln only exists in glibc btw.

insmod.static however needs libz if it is expected to use compressed modules.
Why does insmod need a static version? so elf support can be a module? The
dynamic version of insmod doesn't link to libz.so, so it must be relying on
insmod.static for dealing with compressed modules. With a couple sed commands
to the Makefile we can link libz.so instead of libz.a, but inmod.static would
be dynamically linked.

If insmod(.static) works out with dynamic linking to libz.so then there
doesn't need to be any static libraries installed. The pass1 tools in
hlfs-0.2 are dynamically linked. With this no-static-libs model users would
need to link pass1 dynamically if they wanted to escape hlfs to go to lfs.

I know this might sound harsh, but I'm just saying it should be possible to
get away with zero static libs on a development box.

Comments?