--with-pic

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sun Jan 9 16:27:42 PST 2005

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, Robert Connolly wrote:

> Almost everything is dynamically linked by default. insmod, and ldconfig, need
> to be statically linked. --with-pic might help when vulnerabilities are
> found. If you don't have a static version of zlib then you automatically know
> that you won't have to rebuild other applications to upgrade, or openssl,
> etc. I don't know if it would annoy people if static libs were missing.

 With the possible exception of libc (to build a static toolchain), I
had assumed that removing static libs was a good thing for this very
reason.  Even on a development box, most of us won't miss static libs.

 Of course, Bennett will take a different view, but then he'll
have already documented what he has to rebuild if package foo has a
vulnerability :)  What gets me, at least on the desktop, is the number
of static libraries scattered around (e.g. by almost anything in gnome).

Ken