--with-pic

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jan 9 09:32:31 PST 2005

On January 9, 2005 11:58 am, Heiko Zuerker wrote:
> Robert Connolly wrote:
> >As well, I'm not sure if people would mind only having shared libraries,
> > and no static ones.
>
> In some cases users will need it  and it's just impossible to know which
> ones in advance.

Almost everything is dynamically linked by default. insmod, and ldconfig, need
to be statically linked. --with-pic might help when vulnerabilities are
found. If you don't have a static version of zlib then you automatically know
that you won't have to rebuild other applications to upgrade, or openssl,
etc. I don't know if it would annoy people if static libs were missing.