--with-pic

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jan 9 08:35:32 PST 2005

On January 9, 2005 11:22 am, Heiko Zuerker wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I was just thinking about the configure option "--with-pic" which is
> available on many libraries/programs.
> The default is "use both", so wouldn't it make sense to force it
> whereever possible?

Its supposed to mean it won't build static versions, usually of libraries.
I've tried it a on a few packages and it doesn't always work. With Ncurses
--with-pic installs exactly the same objects as --without-pic.

As well, I'm not sure if people would mind only having shared libraries, and
no static ones.