upcomming 0.2 release

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 8 07:26:46 PST 2005

On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 08:22:33AM -0500, Robert Connolly wrote:

> uClibc still has its advantages. You can install just want you need
> with uClibc, where as with Glibc you need to install everything.
> uClibc was made to be small while supporting almost everything. This
> causes both advantages and disadvantages.

But we should seriously considering weighing the goals of writing a book
with the goals of producing super customized, highly individualized
operating system.

> As always the thing that worries me the most is the Linux kernel. We
> can't have an uptime of more than a month or two before more
> vulnerabilities are found. And the 2.6 maintainers keep adding new
> features to a stable branch.

I figured as much. However, most of these "new" vulns are applicable to
the 2.4 kernel as well, so I guess it is good that people are more
actively bug hunting the kernel. Uptime means nothing to me. Reboots are
a part of good admin practices when it comes to kernel security.

> Until then I would like to add as much as we can.. selinux patches,
> blowfish passwords, etc, optionally of course.

At some point we have to solidify what the base will be so we can start
actually making the system useful, i.e. server applications.

--
Archaic

"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action, according to our will, within
limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others."

- Thomas Jefferson