more stack protector fun

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 1 01:25:39 PST 2005

I have been patching Glibc, adding -fstack-protector to its applications.
Because all of them build with -nostdlib they haven't been getting stack
protection, at least not consistantly. Then I was getting problems with
unresolved symbols when linking ld.so. I remembered openbsd's rtld has
__guard and __stack_smash_handler defined. When I added them to Glibc's
rtld.c everything started to work a lot better. uClibc doesn't have an
rtld.c. They have an ldso.c which I think does the same thing, but they don't
seem to have the same problem. uClibc is building libc.so with
-fstack-protector, it should work with Glibc too.

So anyway. I want to know what happens when libc.so and ld.so are providing
the same function.

I attached a patch of what I have so far. If the rtld function is a go then it
should get moved to the glibc-ssp patch along with the libc.so part.