window managers

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Feb 25 12:49:07 PST 2005

On February 25, 2005 02:36 pm, Bennett Todd wrote:
> I can't really comment usefully on what would be the best choice for
> a base, default window manager for HLFS, as I really, really don't
> like GUIs.
>
> However, given the possibility that there might be other folks who
> share some of my prejudices following this list, I thought I'd
> mention the window manager that has really, really eased my stress
> levels in circumstances where I'm forced to run X: ratpoison.

I want to pick twm because it comes with x11, but I doubt anyone will use it,
including myself, simply because it doesn't have virtual desktops. It doesn't
have any dependency other than x11 (I think).

Ratpoinson doesn't have virtual desktops either. It looks like its tricky to
use as a desktop environment. It does however look interesting.