uclibc nls

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Feb 22 03:40:04 PST 2005

I though Man would work, but the same problem exists with catopen()...
catopen() doesn't exist in uClibc at the moment. Anyway the NLS bug is
smaller now. I tried using GNU's libiconv with bad luck. The iconv that comes
with uClibc works okay but its missing some charsets, hopefully its not a big
deal.

The testsuite for binutils, maybe gcc too, is better but not perfect. The
locales made a noticeable improvement though.

GCC and Binutils in particular are using very old versions of autoconf, and
gettext.m4, and poorly support external libintl. Xorg (non-autconf stuff)
might have similar issues. To resolve this I used a small gcc specs hack to
add -lintl to everything, and magically everything starts to use it.
GCC/Binutils believe -lintl is in libc, newer packages figure out libintl is
external, either way it works out.