Fwd: modifying the chapter layout

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Feb 22 00:44:30 PST 2005

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 12:11:17AM -0500, Robert Connolly wrote:

> Why? I thought we agreed there was too much fluff below chapter 5.

I was talking about stuff after chapter 6, not before 5.

> > Anything that is felt *must* be done before reboot will be put in
> > chapter6.
>
> Bootscripts too? This would make chapter 6 huge, while other chapters have 2
> pages.

No, I mean follow as LFS does with chapter 7 being bootscripts, chapter
8 being the kernel and chapter 9 being the reboot. Then go on with
chapter 10 and the BHLFS stuff *except* if a package is deemed important
enough to be included before reboot. I didn't realize you had shoved
LFS's 7, 8, and 9 into chapter 7. That works as well.

> If we are going to follow the order of the LFS book then all the BLFS stuff
> needs to be put in a second book,

I don't know how the idea that I'm talking about two books came to be.
I'm talking about continuing on with post-reboot chapters.

> I would also like to move the autotools to BHLFS. I think these are in LFS
> because of standards conformance, but almost nothing needs them. It's silly
> having packages in the base that don't get used.

Except you are missing one scenario. Best practices would require any
updates needed on a server to be tested on an identical box, first.
That test box should be a full development system with which to build
the binaries. After all, a production box should not have any of the dev
tools, including a compiler.

> This way everything has its place. I don't like the idea of two pages for
> openssh, one for daemon and one for client, because one page can handle both.

Yes one page *can* handle both, but their usage is vastly different.
sshd is a daemon that should be installed in a servers section of the
book. ssh is a client that should not be in a servers section. Since
everything after the base system is highly dependenct on user
requirements, and since this is intended to be an educational book, it
seems only proper to put things in the relevant sections. Any one else
have an opinion on this?

--
Archaic

Hardened Linux From Scratch