groups, etc.

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Feb 17 00:36:15 PST 2005

Hi. Our /etc/group could use some thinning. A few of the groups are not useful
to the majority of us. Just these might be alright:

root:x:0:
bin:x:1:
sys:x:2:
kmem:x:3:
daemon:x:4:
utmp:x:5:

The rest can be added on our own. This will affect our udev setup. LFS is
debating this topic too, no one knows yet how it will turn out. They are more
likely to keep groups like floppy and audio.

I want to install daemon groups, like syslog, starting at gid 25 to give us a
buffer zone between root's supplemental groups and daemon groups.

Although, we can get away with just having a root group and forget the rest.

And, having a nobody user/group can be usefull too, like for coreutils
testsuite, and for running things in /etc/weekly.

Opinions?