rev-148-glibc problem

thorsten fly_a320 at gmx.de
Sun Feb 6 11:26:31 PST 2005

Hello,

I testbuilding rev148 and have the following problem:
At chapter06/10-glibc at issuing

touch /etc/ld.so.conf &&
make install

the install stops.
the output is:

<snip>
CC="gcc -fno-stack-protector -no-pie" /usr/bin/perl
scripts/test-installation.pl /sources/glibc-build/
/tools/lib/gcc/i686-tools-linux-gnu/3.4.3/../../../../i686-tools-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
cannot find -lcidn
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Execution of gcc -fno-stack-protector -no-pie failed!
The script has found some problems with your installation!
Please read the FAQ and the README file and check the following:
- Did you change the gcc specs file (necessary after upgrading from
   Linux libc5)?
- Are there any symbolic links of the form libXXX.so to old libraries?
   Links like libm.so -> libm.so.5 (where libm.so.5 is an old library)
are wrong,
   libm.so should point to the newly installed glibc file - and there
should be
   only one such link (check e.g. /lib and /usr/lib)
You should restart this script from your build directory after you've
fixed all problems!
Btw. the script doesn't work if you're installing GNU libc not as your
primary library!
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/sources/glibc-2.3.4'
make: *** [install] Error 2

I tried to find out something about the linker message but found
nothing. Is it possible, that the new specs file change introduced in
rev 140 has something to do with this failure?

regards thorsten happel