TODO-List

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Feb 5 08:51:11 PST 2005

On February 5, 2005 08:57 am, Bennett Todd wrote:
> 2005-02-05T13:08:50 Robert Connolly:
> > [ alternative permission structures for /usr, /etc, ... are hard
> >   to implement w/ "make install" ]
> > Maybe this sort of stuff could go in a "Finishing up" section, after
> > everything is installed, configured, and users are added.
>
> I don't like that last idea; if you're gonna do something like this,
> I think it'd be better if it were done, somehow, as part of the
> installation of each package. My reasoning is that "after everything
> is installed" is end-of-life of the machine, since critical security
> bugfixes keep coming out for many popular, in some cases, at least
> arguably, "best-of-breed" server components.

Ya. I've been thinking to set 'chmod -s' on each page, rather than all in
chapter 7. But, its important to check for these globally after everything is
installed, too.

It's really messy to set permissions on each file installed specifically.
Doing that for Glibc would take up an entire page just for the chown's. Its a
lot easier to sweep whole directories when we're all done installing, like we
do for stripping. When packages are added or upgraded the dirs could be swept
again.