/usr vs /usr/local

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 2 05:36:36 PST 2005

I would like to put bhlfs stuff in /usr/local. I think /usr should only have
what is needed to rebuild the base system and reboot. I think /usr/local
should be for everything else because the beyond-packages are always site
specific. But I think everything should share /etc as a sysconf directory.

I know people have opinions about this. I also see the value of having a place
to install a second version of a package. If you want two versions of gcc, or
apache, I think that's what /opt is for. Another idea is to use /usr/pkg for
bhlfs stuff. I think many of us don't like installing everything in /usr/bin
because it gets messy. Installing only the base to /usr would mean we can
partition /usr for a known amount (read-only too), and use /usr/local as the
big partition.

Lots of pros and cons either way. How do the rest of you feel about this?